Announcement

#1 2019-10-10 13:35:09

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

How to disable auto update ?

In case some automated engine like softaculous or clicking something by mistake will trigger update 2.10
how can I disable update ?

I want manual option so nothing will change in my Piwigo without me confirming it and any automated try will fail to success.

Piwigo version: 2.9.5
PHP version: 7.1

Offline

 

#2 2019-10-10 14:26:47

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13276

Re: How to disable auto update ?

There is no auto-update on Piwigo.

Offline

 

#3 2019-10-10 14:28:30

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

however softaculous does that; I have it turned off but in case of an error I don't want it to update

Offline

 

#4 2019-10-10 15:49:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05
13276

Re: How to disable auto update ?

telemach wrote:

however softaculous does that; I have it turned off but in case of an error I don't want it to update

Ask softaculous and please come back here to tell us what they say :-)

Offline

 

#5 2019-10-10 16:38:05

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

plg wrote:

Ask softaculous and please come back here to tell us what they say :-)

OK I see, instead of simple answer : this is solution, there is no solution, we have no idea
you prefer to divert this topic to softaculous; why should I ask them ??? isn't that
your product ? aren't you interested in warning users about
potential problems that some installer might cause or contacting them to find suitable
solution ? I guess not

Offline

 

#6 2019-10-10 16:53:38

erAck
Piwigo Team
2015-09-06
300

Re: How to disable auto update ?

telemach wrote:

OK I see, instead of simple answer : this is solution, there is no solution, we have no idea
you prefer to divert this topic to softaculous; why should I ask them ???

Because you mentioned them with "some automated engine like softaculous". Piwigo itself does not auto-update, it updates only after you voluntarily clicked the upgrade. If softaculous somehow triggers an update by other means then that is beyond Piwigo's influence. (not that I'd know softaculous at all nor what it does nor what it doesn't). So if softaculous does something you don't want then ask softaculous how to not do that.


Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

Offline

 

#7 2019-10-10 16:59:29

jnashpiwigo
Member
2014-10-21
186

Re: How to disable auto update ?

telemach wrote:

plg wrote:

Ask softaculous and please come back here to tell us what they say :-)

OK I see, instead of simple answer : this is solution, there is no solution, we have no idea
you prefer to divert this topic to softaculous; why should I ask them ??? isn't that
your product ? aren't you interested in warning users about
potential problems that some installer might cause or contacting them to find suitable
solution ? I guess not

Softaculous is not Piwigo.  Piwigo doesn't auto-update.  Fairly simple, and a fair answer.

Offline

 

#8 2019-10-10 17:00:13

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

erAck wrote:

Piwigo itself does not auto-update

and what is the reason to write this again and again ?
I understand it, do you ?

erAck wrote:

So if softaculous does something you don't want then ask softaculous how to not do that.

that is completely another topic, I surely can ask them about their actions but it's Piwigo forums so I am asking about Piwigo and things I can or cannot do with Piwigo

Offline

 

#9 2019-10-10 17:02:08

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

jnashpiwigo wrote:

Piwigo doesn't auto-update.

amazing !!! these are surely automated bots because it's beyond imagination to have every user repeat same thing; it's not us go away and complain to them because there is nothing you can with Piwigo to prevent damage done by others

Last edited by telemach (2019-10-10 17:02:51)

Offline

 

#10 2019-10-10 17:02:56

jnashpiwigo
Member
2014-10-21
186

Re: How to disable auto update ?

telemach wrote:

erAck wrote:

Piwigo itself does not auto-update

and what is the reason to write this again and again ?
I understand it, do you ?

erAck wrote:

So if softaculous does something you don't want then ask softaculous how to not do that.

that is completely another topic, I surely can ask them about their actions but it's Piwigo forums so I am asking about Piwigo and things I can or cannot do with Piwigo

I think you may be confused.  You asked about Piwigo auto-updating.  The answer provided was that Piwigo does not auto update.  Then you responded that it was Softaculous. (again, not Piwigo) so, in essence, you're no longer asking about what Piwigo can or can not do.

Offline

 

#11 2019-10-10 17:06:19

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

jnashpiwigo wrote:

so, in essence, you're no longer asking about what Piwigo can or can not do.

in essence you don't get my point at all, I accepted the fact Piwigo is not auto updating however having some 10 more users writing it will be reassuring :) I asked if anything can be done to secure my usage of Piwigo and it is clear there is no answer to that; EOT

Offline

 

#12 2019-10-10 17:15:41

jnashpiwigo
Member
2014-10-21
186

Re: How to disable auto update ?

telemach wrote:

jnashpiwigo wrote:

Piwigo doesn't auto-update.

amazing !!! these are surely automated bots because it's beyond imagination to have every user repeat same thing; it's not us go away and complain to them because there is nothing you can with Piwigo to prevent damage done by others

We're not trying to be combative or argumentative.

Your question should be to Softaculous on why they choose to auto-update programs at will.

Piwigo has a method for updating.  If a third-party chooses to use that method (either an application, such as Softaculous, or simply a gallery owner who chooses to update on their own), you're potentially suggesting that Piwigo disables that functionality because of some(ones/things) (poor) decision to update or not?

Last edited by jnashpiwigo (2019-10-10 17:18:21)

Offline

 

#13 2019-10-10 17:23:43

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

jnashpiwigo wrote:

Your question should be to Softaculous on why they choose to auto-update programs at will.

IMHO that exactly something that team behind Piwigo should ask them

jnashpiwigo wrote:

you're potentially suggesting that Piwigo disables that functionality

I am not suggesting, I am reporting that forgetting about auto-update with some installer is causing problems and I like to be warned about problems or offered solutions to prevent them in the future; of course I can always restore from backup but that shouldn't be the only way out

Offline

 

#14 2019-10-10 17:30:45

jnashpiwigo
Member
2014-10-21
186

Re: How to disable auto update ?

telemach wrote:

jnashpiwigo wrote:

Your question should be to Softaculous on why they choose to auto-update programs at will.

IMHO that exactly something that team behind Piwigo should ask them

jnashpiwigo wrote:

you're potentially suggesting that Piwigo disables that functionality

I am not suggesting, I am reporting that forgetting about auto-update with some installer is causing problems and I like to be warned about problems or offered solutions to prevent them in the future; of course I can always restore from backup but that shouldn't be the only way out

So, perhaps to close this out:

Please use caution when using [[ insert third party/owner/application/provider here ]] as (it/he/she/they) may choose to utilize the update feature provided within Piwigo at its discretion.

Last edited by jnashpiwigo (2019-10-10 17:33:10)

Offline

 

#15 2019-10-10 18:11:19

telemach
Member
2019-04-04
22

Re: How to disable auto update ?

Please use caution when using [[ insert third party/owner/application/provider here ]] as (it/he
/she/they) may choose to utilize the update feature provided within Piwigo at its discretion.

maybe something like : this is a major update; we are aware that there are software installers that might auto upgrade but there was no time to test it so for your own safety please contact your hosting provider disable auto options and upgrade manually OR we suggest manual upgrade but there are also software installers that auto upgrade, we have tested it and it is completely safe to upgrade this way if you need to do so

Last edited by telemach (2019-10-10 18:11:54)

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

github twitter facebook google+ newsletter Donate Piwigo.org © 2002-2019 · Contact