Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » [resolved] Can I add a new page (like a home page) ???

#1 2010-09-20 17:53:43

Josephfc

[resolved] Can I add a new page (like a home page) ???

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to scripting and programming so i'm sorry if the following query sounds too simple (or even stupid).

I use piwigo to run my web gallery. It is a superb application that gives excellent features with minimum admin efforts.(Keep up the good work all of you.)

My query :

When a user arrives at my site they go directly to the home page of the pewigo gallery.
I would like to add a custom home page (containing personal information) that will look like the rest of the gallery. I'm expecting to gave link in the above said home page that will take the user to the gallery homepage and vis-versa.

Any help/suggestion to help me achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you ,

Joseph

#2 2010-09-20 18:07:58

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Re: [resolved] Can I add a new page (like a home page) ???

For create page you can use [extension by P@t] Additional Pages

------

For this page as homepage with the plugin LocalFiles Editor add in local config

$conf['random_index_redirect'] = 'index.php?/additional_page/1';

where 1 is the identifier number of your Additional Page.

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#3 2010-10-18 02:28:15

Darryl
2010-04-27

I've done this same thing as a workaround. And while it works, it really is just that. A workaround.

From a visitor's perspective, it looks terrible that the landing page is an "additional page" and far from professional looking.

It would be very nice to be able to have the main page load whatever content is desired by the site admin. There should be a checkbox within the Admin page that removes all of the categories from the main landing page and an option to put your own html code in its place.

This is one of the main things that is making me hesitate from rolling Piwigo out in full.

#4 2010-10-18 06:47:53

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

For add module on home page you can use [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs

for cache album on home page you can use [extension by Piwigo Team] Extended Description

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#5 2010-10-18 07:54:20

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Darryl wrote:

It would be very nice to be able to have the main page load whatever content is desired by the site admin. There should be a checkbox within the Admin page that removes all of the categories from the main landing page and an option to put your own html code in its place.

The "remove main block" from index page is planned for the PWG Stuffs plugin.

And I agree that it would be a nice way to have a clean homepage (at URL level).

We must improve Piwigo to manage the "home made homepage" this is a very common request.

#6 2010-10-22 13:26:10

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

P@t has commited the feature remove main block on homepage for [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs (see [Subversion] r7340) but there is something that disturbs me: if you remove the main block from homepage, then there is no way to display the root category.

By default, Piwigo homepage = root category. I have written 10 lines of code to make Piwigo able to make the difference between the homepage and the root category. This way, you can hide the root category block from homepage http://piwigo.org/demo and keep the ability to display it on http://piwigo.org/demo/index.php?/categories

Unfortunately, it is not a very good option, because this would be the only place in Piwigo were would make the difference between root category page and homepage.

What's your opinion about that?

We also discussed with P@t about 2 things:

1) creating a Homepage plugin to manage the homepage

2) adding an option on [extension by P@t] Additional Pages to set a page as homepage + hide the index.php?/additional_page/1 in the URL when it's homepage + improving the URL style for Additional Pages

#7 2010-10-26 11:46:20

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I have slightly modified my code so that [extension by plg] PWG Stuffs makes the difference between homepage and root category page. This means that if you go on index.php?/categories it will show the modules you have set as Show module on all categories pages.

Please give a try to http://piwigo.org/tmp/PWG_Stuffs-2.1.f-alpha.zip and tell me if you appreciate the new behavior.

#8 2010-10-26 20:58:45

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[extension by plg] PWG Stuffs version 2.1.f implements the option hide main block from homepage and makes the difference between the home page and the root category page.

#9 2011-02-22 23:54:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[extension by P@t] Additional Pages version 2.1.l implements the nice following features:

* option to set a page as homepage and hide the index.php?/additional_page/1 in the URL when it's homepage
* "additional_page" replaced by "page" in the URL
* ability to use a permalink instead of a numeric identifier : /page/photography-passion instead of /page/12

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » [resolved] Can I add a new page (like a home page) ???

Board footer