Announcement

#1 2012-08-23 09:56:12

locopage
2012-04-27

Controlling spam

I've suddenly started getting LOTS of spam comment messages on my images via comments. I've activated RV Akismet and added to API key, and it caught 110 messages as spam in couple of days. But I don't see a way of me checking these to see if they are all genuine spam?

So in options on Akismet page on Piwigo plug-in page I've altered setting from "reject" to "moderate" and now I'm getting e-mails again every time a spam comment is left again

Is there not a way spam is caught, I check on site it's genuine and delete it - without me getting an e-mail every time a spam comment i left? It defeats the object of using Akismet totally?

Thanks

#2 2012-08-23 18:15:20

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Re: Controlling spam

Hi locopage,

If you allow all users, even guest users, to post comments on your gallery it's very difficult to prevent spams. Even with RV Akismet plugin when spammers are not robots.

To add more security against spam comments, you can
- Disable comments for all on your gallery. Only registered (supposed human) can post them.
- If you don't want to disable comments for all, try to add [extension by mistic100] Crypto Captcha

#3 2012-08-24 15:09:46

locopage
2012-04-27

Eric wrote:

Hi locopage,

If you allow all users, even guest users, to post comments on your gallery it's very difficult to prevent spams. Even with RV Akismet plugin when spammers are not robots.

I think (thankfully) the spammer has given up after aound 250 messages! I hope so. I like to get good comments so don't want to turn off.

Maybe a way of banning certain users can come in future?
Thanks

#4 2012-08-24 17:12:41

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

If guests users (not registered and identified users) can post comments how could it be possible to detect and ban the spammers ? By the IP is already possible using Akismet plugin but it's limited to the Akismet's database.

By adding a captcha ([extension by mistic100] Crypto Captcha) on comments post page could solve at least the spam robots problem ib addition of Akismet :-)

#5 2012-08-24 18:07:08

locopage
2012-04-27

Eric wrote:

If guests users (not registered and identified users) can post comments how could it be possible to detect and ban the spammers ? By the IP is already possible using Akismet plugin but it's limited to the Akismet's database

Could a guest username not be filtered some how so they get their posts deleted?

#6 2012-08-24 22:00:34

Eric
Former Piwigo Team
VALENCE (FR)
2005-03-25

Imagine the following situations :

1/ I'm a spammer.
On your gallery, the first time I post a lot of spam in comments as "IamGod" nickname. With a non-already-existing feature, you decided to block and delete all comments posted by "IamGod".
That's OK since I come back a second time and post another set of spams in comments as "IamDevil" nickname. You'll block this nickname too and so on with all nicknames used by spammers ? That will be a huge database !

2/ I'm not a spammer but my nickname I love to use is "IamGod"
I'll be unable to post any real comment on your gallery because you decided to block "IamGod" posts. Bad trip, isn't it ?

Board footer