Announcement

#1 2012-10-23 20:14:36

pewe
2012-03-16

Generating Thumbnails

I have set up Piwigo so that the photos are held in a directory on the site 'ROOT' outside of the Piwigo directory - so I upload the photos using FTP.

After I synchronise and import the photos, if I go to the new album the generation of the photo thumbnails utilises 100% CPU for a minute or more if I have the number of thumbnails set to 20.

For small albums (ie say 10-20 photos) this is not a problem, but I have some initial albums that have over 50 and in some cases over 100 photos and to generate the thumbnails for these will utilise the CPU for longer than my host would like.

With Piwigo 2.4 on the thumbnails are created and stored in the '_data/i/.....' directory and stored as 'filename_th.jpg'.

Is is possible to create the thumbnails in another way without hogging the cpu - eg on the PC and manually uploading them.

NOTE: I have no access to my gallery for a few days, hence asking the question instead of trying it.

#2 2012-10-23 21:18:32

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Generating Thumbnails

Hello
indeed, if you are on shared host, you will be limited. Did you host send you a mail? If yes you might consider changing it, because a profetional one have build in limitations (like mine)
And yes you can : there is topic about this
You can create copy of your piwigo locally or generate by a picture software, then upload

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2012-10-24 17:09:24

pewe
2012-03-16

Thanks Flop.

My host did not send me a message - I saw the CPU usage was 100% when I viewed it in my Control Panel whilst Piwigo was loading thumbnails.

So I created the thumbnails on the PC (using FastStone Photo Resizer) and uploaded them.

When I loaded a thumbnail page the CPU still went to 100% in the Control Panel view - so I guess the host has applied some sort of CPU sharing limitation.

I will have to e-mail the host and ask.

Thanks again Flop.

#4 2022-12-06 21:21:46

Eis-T
2022-11-03

Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but I got the same issue. Difference is I'm hosting myself. How do I reduce the CPU load of piwigo? Is there a setting to generate the preview images/thumbnails in advance?

Board footer