Announcement

#1 2013-06-11 17:03:18

REX123
2013-04-26

How to .... link an image to a detailed image

Hi - I hope you can help me.

I would like to be able to add a feature so that you can open an image and then click on it to open a close up image showing more detail.
I've seen this done on another persons piwigo website so I know its possible.
Do I need to use a specific theme or plugin to do this?

#2 2013-06-12 12:41:19

pewe
2012-03-16

Re: How to .... link an image to a detailed image

Rex
This is a default option in Piwigo - did you turn it off, or maybe you use a theme which does not have the option.

Using the standard 'Elegant' theme the visitor will see the Photo sizes as an option on the menu bar when they are viewing a photo (in the elegant theme it is some 'Rectangles' - above the photo on the left).

Look in Administration=>Configuration=>Options and select the Photo Sizes tab.

Here you can specify the different sizes available to the visitor, and alter their dimensions.

#3 2013-06-12 16:47:55

REX123
2013-04-26

Hi Pewe

Thank you for your suggestion.  I'm not sure if I have the correct settings as I seem to have a variety of sizes selected in the default settings in piwigo. I am using the 'Elegant' theme

What I'm really wanting to do is to link 2 seperate images - one showing the whole image and the second showing a detailed close up when clicking on the first image. 

If this is not possible then I probably need to upload a very large file that allows it to be viewed again - close up ...... I think this is what you are suggesting? but I haven't worked out how you do this ....... any other pointers would be very appreciated. I've just looked at pLoader..... Do I need to specify sizes on the preferences here I wonder?

Many thanks
Rex

#4 2013-06-12 22:36:58

pewe
2012-03-16

Rex
The way it works is that you use the 'Add Photos' facility in Admin to upload the 'Original' full size photo, specifying the album you want to add it too.
Then in Admin 'Photo Sizes' you specify the size choices available to the visitor.

BUT

In Admin there is also a section to administer users.
Here you can allow or disallow Guests and specific users or groups (if you have any) to see the 'HD' version of the photo (this means the 'Original')

If you allow it, then 'Original' is a choice for the visitors to choose from the photo sizes drop down list  - but they have to select that option as opposed to just clicking on the smaller size that they first see.

I hope this makes sense!!

#5 2013-06-19 13:08:06

REX123
2013-04-26

Thanks Pewe

I'll have a go at that - it sounds like a lengthy process when I have many images already up there - as I would need to upload them again.  There was a plugin extension that linked images but I'm not sure if that works with the updated piwigo version.

I have another query about watermarks. Ive added the sample ones which seem to fix to the image as you view them but I can't replace with a new watermark once they've been watermarked. It seems this is a permanent fixture once the feature is switched to on.  Thankfully I am can disable it.  I'll look through the Troubleshooting for more info about this unless you have a quick solution to replace the watermark that I've added testing it out, as I now want to replace it with something else. (I suppose I will have to reload the images again)

Once again thank you for your help

REX

#6 2013-06-19 13:49:44

pewe
2012-03-16

Rex.

There should be no work involved in re-uploading photos.

If the original photos were uploaded to the server unaltered (ie original size) there is no need to re-upload them - the original sizes will already be available to visitors from the photo sizes option.

If you want to change the dimensions of the other sizes, and alter which sizes are available to the visitor, you can do this in the admin panel. If you alter the sizes, the photos will be resized the next time they are selected for viewing.

As far as the Watermark is concerned a few points

- the watermark is not added to the original photos, it only appears as an 'overlay' on the resized photos

- if you change the watermark it will appear on the resized photos instead of the previous one, but again it will not appear on the original

- you can change the watermark in Admin=>Configuration=>Options. Here in the 'Watermark' Tab you will see the option 'Select a file' which has  drop down list to choose from a number of files. Using the 'add a new watermark' at the end of the line allows you to upload your own file which is added to the list for selection to replace the previously selected one.

NOTE - if you select the 'blank' line in the 'Select a File' drop down, the watermark is removed from the  photo the next time it is viewed.

#7 2013-06-19 14:44:29

REX123
2013-04-26

Hi Pewe

I need to study it all very carefully to manage this I think. 

Watermarks..... I uploaded a watermark (logo) image successfully and added it as a watermark to one of the pictures and can't change it to anything else.... ( I now want it removed which I can do by turning watermarks off but it needs changing as its not looking right and when I turn it back on its still there.  I will have to see what I'm doing wrong and check it all thoroughly.

Eureka moment just now.....  I've got the Back2Front plugin working on the site.  Its doing what I originally wanted to do , that is to link 2 images to one another, one being a close up of the original with a button above to activate it.  Its perfect apart from I need it to say "See Detail" and "See Original" instead of the default words "See Back" and "See Front".  Have you any ideas how I go about changing the wording?

I'm definitely getting there now.

Many thanks for your ideas and patience!

REX

#8 2013-06-19 14:51:02

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

About the watermark, it's certainly a cache issue from your browser
About the plugin, use local-files editor to change the language keys of the plugin (open its language folder and files)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#9 2013-06-19 15:46:40

REX123
2013-04-26

I've successfully changed the wording - there was an option to change this in the settings that I hadn't seen previously. Just need to sort out the watermark issues.........

Thank you Piwigo and All

REX

Board footer