Announcement

#1 2013-08-14 22:08:30

martinis
2013-07-02

Sudden problem uploading photos

Hi

After 2 weeks away, I have suddenly started to experience problems adding photos to my installation of Piwigo (Piwigo 2.5.2, Operating system: Linux; PHP: 5.3.25 [2013-08-14 20:48:19]; MySQL: 5.0.96-community [2013-08-14 20:48:19]; Graphics Library: External ImageMagick 6.2.8).

My usual method is via the Digikam Kipi-Plugin Export, but this fails with "Failed to login into remote piwigo. Connection to host xxx is broken". The direct method of adding a photo with the Flash Uploader fails with just a simple "file.jpg, IO Error".  The browser uploader seemed to work this morning, but then failed with HTML error 400.

I am on a shared host and they are trying to help.  All they can see is an error message in the apache logs about mod-security and they have now completely disabled this for my site. This does seem to allow me to use the browser uploader, but not the other methods.  I have another Piwigo installation on another hosting provider and everything seems to work on this site without any problems. 

I would think there is some server communication/security problem but is there any way to obtain a log so I can have more than the error on screen "file.jpg, IO Error"?  The hosting provider are willing to help me further, so if anyone has any idea of the cause of the problem or how to obtain more diagnostics, that would be great.  My next step would be to set up a dummy site for the hosting provider to play with, but they are not familiar with Piwigo.

Many thanks. Martin

#2 2013-08-14 22:31:09

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Sudden problem uploading photos

Hello

it seems your hoster did a maintenance which broken things... it would have been more interesting to know what they did

"IO errors" means "IO_ERROR - Some kind of error occurred while reading or transmitting the file. This most commonly occurs when the server unexpectedly terminates the connection." from http://demo.swfupload.org/Documentation/ which is use by Uploadify which is used by Piwigo...
Usually the best logs to check are servers logs: error and connexion logs

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-08-16 10:03:52

martinis
2013-07-02

Thank you for that info, which I passed back to my hosting company.  They say they have made no updates to the server recently. 

Interestingly, my own investigations showed that with this hosting company the Flash uploader worked with the Chrome browser but never with Firefox 23 (Windows or Linux).  Yet on another host there is no problem, so I suspect some security or communication configuration with their server may be the problem, rather than Firefox.  Unfortunately they cannot help me further, so I will have to look for another host.

#4 2013-08-16 10:06:13

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

my bets advice would be to rent a VPS

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#5 2013-08-17 00:36:02

martinis
2013-07-02

Maybe it will come to that some time, but my hosting company solved the problem when they offered to move my account to another of their servers, and once they had done so the problems just went away. Uploading from the flash uploader and Digikam now work fine.  Unfortunately, they did not know what caused the difficulty on the first server.

#6 2013-08-17 08:30:16

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

My last joker would have been the server logs, trying to verbose more

Board footer