Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Virtualize Plugin / Virtual Album Questions

#1 2013-08-16 00:06:23

Bpiwigo

Virtualize Plugin / Virtual Album Questions

1. Are "categories" now called "albums"?  (The description on Virtualize's page still refers to categories.)

2.  When "virtualizing" a physical album, is the original album moved?  Deleted?  Copied?

3.  Does the new virtual album get created in _data/i/galleries?

4.  Do the contents of the new virtual album gets named with the random seeded strings to avoid direct URL guessing (as Uploaded photos do), or will they retain exactly the same names they had in the original physical directory?

5.  If the latter, could that be changed, so that Virtualizing a physical album would also serve to obscure its original file names?

6.  With normally uploaded virtual albums, are these assumptions correct: Virtual album names are not represented by any physical directory structure (if I name a virtual album "testxyz" I will not find anything called "testxyz" in the file system?)  Uploaded images lose their original local file names, and instead get named date+randomhash.jpg and stored in the _data/i/upload directory structure? (along with thumbnails)  The original file names are stored only in the database?

7.  Is there a similar "Physicalize" plugin that creates physical albums out of virtual ones, i.e., reverses the effect of the Virtualize plugin?

#2 2013-08-16 09:29:48

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Virtualize Plugin / Virtual Album Questions

hello
1) yes
2)you mean the plugin Virtualize? Do not know, never used Try it with a test album
3)no /upload
4)Try it
6) as you can see and test, /upload is formatted by date of upload
7) I wish!

that dual system is far from being perfect, and ideally in the future they will be merged

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-08-16 19:22:48

Bpiwigo

Thank you flop25, I'll try it.

#4 2013-08-17 09:21:01

Ralf
Dorsten-Lembeck
2012-05-08

Hi,

it works like a charme - I have used it to virtualize 58 albums with 1700 images.
All images are moved correctly to the upload folder.
Maybe you have to delete the empty gallery subfolders in the galleries folder - easily do it with a ftp client :-)

But there is one little thing that happened to me (maybe it is only me):
In Piwigo Admin you will still see the physical album names when selecting the 'Syncronize' option from the Admin menu - although there are no subfolders in the galleries folder.

Seems like the plugin does not set the 'site_id' clolumn in the 'categories' table to NULL.
If you want get rid of those entries you can (on your own risk) manually change the value in the column to NULL.
You can do it with a tool like phpmyadmin or mysqldumper.

Be sure to have a database backup when modifying the database with a 3rd party tool.

Cheers
Ralf

There are only two kinds of music:
Rock and Roll

https://www.ralf-kerkhoff.de

#5 2013-08-19 17:13:38

bpiwigo

Huh, thanks Ralf. That rings a bell in a way -- I've noticed that deleted or changed album names seem to stick around in certain pull down lists.  I've never used the Virtualize plugin, so for me at least there's a housekeeping issue in the some of the core modules.

#6 2013-09-27 18:00:34

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

Hello,
Is it not possible to *link* the real albums in /upload in place of copying them?

thanks
jdd

#7 2013-09-27 19:42:56

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi jdd,

jdd wrote:

Is it not possible to *link* the real albums in /upload in place of copying them?

I don't understand the question. There is no album in /upload. Virtual albums are only defined in the database.

#8 2013-09-27 22:43:59

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

the plugin description says "move albums to /upload"

*move*

are the album / images moved, that is deleted from the original place?

thanks
jdd

#9 2013-09-28 08:22:19

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I'll change the description. Once Virtualize has run, photos are moved to "upload" directory and you have empty directories in "galleries" that you cznj manually delete (no need to perform any synchronization)

#10 2013-09-28 09:02:56

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

plg wrote:

I'll change the description. Once Virtualize has run, photos are moved to "upload" directory and you have empty directories in "galleries" that you cznj manually delete (no need to perform any synchronization)

well... the photos are really *moved*?

I don't want this.

I want to keep in sync the trees of my photo stores local and remote.

Just for an example.

I tried a "youtube" clone gallery for videos. It's more video friendly than piwigo, but none of the ones I could try is even close to the result they claim. So I will now use piwigo for my videos (piwigo is very well done, thanks to a clever team :-).

But this gallery use random file name after upload, impossible to manage outside, so I will have to upload again all the video sent there.

With the ftp piwigo sync system, the photo/video/audio files are always accessible from any system and have to be uploaded only once.

thanks
jdd

#11 2014-05-06 19:58:05

bpiwigo

jdd, JanisV seems to have addressed your needs at http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23312

#12 2014-05-07 20:28:05

bpiwigo

You're welcome.  :(

(He/she posted in the linked thread.)

#13 2014-05-07 20:41:23

jdd
Toulouse (France)
2009-12-19

got to the link, it's ok

thanks