Announcement

#1 2014-05-22 20:44:55

wtoremans
2013-05-31

Migrate/transfer piwigo.com site to bluehost

Dear all,

I've been a happy user of piwigo.com hosting for quite some time now. However, I'm ready to move on and have some more theme control and FTP access. I own a bluehost hosting package on which I did a One-Click install of Piwigo.

I would now like to transfer the contents of my piwigo.com site to the new host. I have downloaded all of my data, which includes a SQL script to recreate the database. I think this export contains all I need, but I have a few open questions if I may ...

Piwigo.com limits the installation of new themes and plugins. Is this done in code? And if so, can I reenable this functionality easily?

The Piwigo version of piwigo.com seems to be 6.2 whilst the bluehost script installs version 6.2.2. I'm guessing running the exported SQL script would break the new site?

If the above would seem too difficult, I would prefer to recreate my albums in the new version and reupload my photos, except, I have many users of which I don't know the password. These are included in the SQL script, but are in a scrambled format. Would it suffice to just run this user creation section of the sql script against the new database? Will it be able to descramble these passwords?

Thank you!

Wim

#2 2014-05-22 20:51:16

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Migrate/transfer piwigo.com site to bluehost

Hi

wtoremans wrote:

Is this done in code?

no

wtoremans wrote:

The Piwigo version of piwigo.com seems to be 6.2 whilst the bluehost script installs version 6.2.2. I'm guessing running the exported SQL script would break the new site?

(2.6, not 6.2 !)
neither, the database scheme is consistent within the branch

you seems to ask yourself too many questions, keep it simple:

- upload Piwigo 2.6.2 files to your bluehost (don't run the install and don't use the automatic install script)
- upload your backed up photos in the "upload" folder on bluehost
- I guess Piwigo.com backup contains the "local" folder, so upload it on bluehost as well
- Import the SQL backup with PhpMyAdmin (see knowledge base of the host)
- update the file "local/config/database.inc.php" to fit your new credententials
- done

#3 2014-05-22 20:58:06

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi Wim,

wtoremans wrote:

I've been a happy user of piwigo.com hosting for quite some time now. However, I'm ready to move on and have some more theme control and FTP access.

Happy to read you've enjoyed Piwigo.com and want to keep using Piwigo, self-hosted :-)

wtoremans wrote:

I would now like to transfer the contents of my piwigo.com site to the new host. I have downloaded all of my data, which includes a SQL script to recreate the database.

Use the SQL dump (with PhpMyAdmin or any other Mysql tool provided by Bluehost) and then transfer the content of "upload" directory.

wtoremans wrote:

Piwigo.com limits the installation of new themes and plugins. Is this done in code? And if so, can I reenable this functionality easily?

Yes it's done in Piwigo.com specific code. You won't have this limitation on a Piwigo downloaded from Piwigo.org.

wtoremans wrote:

Piwigo version on Piwigo.com = 2.6.2++

Importing the SQL won't break anything :-)

#4 2014-05-22 20:59:02

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

OK... mistic gave a better answer ;-)

#5 2014-05-23 19:51:06

wtoremans
2013-05-31

Thanks guys! I'll give it a go over the weekend and let you know how it went :)
I will remove the scripted install and upload the site/db I downloaded from piwigo.com. It does include the local folder ... it has the theme files and css, so I'll copy that too.

#6 2014-06-01 19:47:54

wtoremans
2013-05-31

Allright, it was two weekends :)

I removed the scripted install
I uploaded the Piwigo files from the package
I ran setup and created a new MySQL database (with prefix)

The default Piwigo installation worked. I must say the installation went like a breeze.

I copied over my upload and local directories I got from piwigo.com
I ran the SQL script I got from piwigo.com
I altered the config file to point to the tables I just created in the same database (but without prefix)

And then I had some issues:

I used the 'stripped' theme on my old site, but I noticed this theme was not included in the local directory from the backup. I figured the reference to the stripped theme was in the themes table, so I changed the record to elegant/2.6.1/elegant. (same as in the default themes table with the prefix I created before).

Changing this seemed to work, but then the admin was inaccessible because it was looking for the 'Grum Plugins Classes.3' plugin. Therefore I changed the database config file back to the old default tables with prefix, reloaded the admin, installed this plugin and changed the database connection back.

And then all was fine ... I finished installing the other missing plugins and I was done.
All running smoothly now!

Thank you for helping me mistic100 and plg!

Wim

#7 2014-06-01 21:39:22

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
just a remark: next time you directly can upload the themes/plugin missing without switching the table names

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer