Announcement

•  » Themes
  •  » Modern Theme Request

#1 2014-08-12 14:22:08

quicky
2012-08-03

Modern Theme Request

Hey guys,

I do have a pretty generic question. Why aren't there much more themes for Piwigo available.

Background: I'm using Piwigo for a long time now as it seems totally stable and solid. However the themes (which is obviously a major decision point for such a solution), aren't that great. As this shouldn't be any finger pointing (I know that such projects only exist because of people investing all of their free time in creating such great tools), I was wondering why there isn't any kind of market-place for themes?

I would love to pay for a good theme, but I can't pay the whole party, as I use piwigo only for my private pics. So why isn't there a Piwigo Category at themeforest.net for example? I recently payed $58 for a Wordpress Gallery theme (http://www.gt3themes.com/wordpress-them … e_landing/) just to find out that WordPress isn't anywhere near the features of Piwigo when it comes to Gallery features.

$58 is nothing compared to the time someone needs to invest to build such a theme, but until today the developer sold it 922 times... so doing that for piwigo would help the project AND help the designers.

What do you guys think?

Best regards

Oliver

#2 2014-08-12 15:59:47

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Modern Theme Request

Hello
unfortunatly that's not something we -the team- can do about! The plugin Piwigo for Lightroom is at my knowledge the only paid extension -and that's not even for Pwiigo itself-.
But I saw and still see offersof freelance job for integration of an existing themes etc ...

Maybe piwigo.com will encourage paid advanced themes as wp.com does currently. Maybe we could do contests to start interesting designers Maybe you or we could raise crowdfounding founds to get features or extensions done ....

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2014-08-12 16:07:27

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Why isn't there any theme, you ask ?
Well simply because nobody wants to do it... paid or not

#4 2014-08-12 16:29:27

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

you could contact the creators of wordpress themes, and ask for an adaptation of one of thme you liked for Piwigo. If more and more people ask them to do thems for Piwigo they will adaptd for sure!

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#5 2014-08-12 17:53:22

quicky
2012-08-03

Thanks guys! Very good feedback! I will ask the developer. :-)

On the other hand: I would even invest my time to get a Piwigo section at themeforest.net but I guess you wouldn't want some simple user to ask themeforest (or any similar site) to establish a section for your piwigo solution, right?

#6 2014-08-13 17:46:21

quicky
2012-08-03

Okay,

I asked the developer about a Piwigo version of their theme. Believe it or not, they are NOT interested ;-)

So my question is: Who would be interested to check about the feasibility of doing a similar version. Doesn't have to be exactly the same (as we might run in legal trouble). But just to see if its possible and how much it would cost.

I would be willing to pay for something like that and it could be a first theme that could be used to open a category on some theme-selling-platform.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

Oliver

#7 2014-08-13 18:05:52

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

That's what I thought. The guys is not interested because that would mean to much work if it sells it at the same price, or mean a price much higher.
As I probably already answered elsewhere  you can ask for a quotation for free at PigoLabs, the piwigo association, student associations in Web dev, etc or hire on online platform a cheap dev

#8 2014-08-13 18:17:19

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Thanks a lot for your efforts and your enthusiasm

#9 2014-08-22 23:44:42

philb
2014-07-22

I had the same thoughts as the OP when I first started using Piwigo. When I moved from a Wordpress gallery I tested literally every PHP based photo gallery I could find and Piwigo was by far the best. The only thing that was a little bit of a let down was the lack of modern themes.

I have been considering for a while grabbing a Theme from Themeforest and customising it to work with Piwigo, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to distribute it due to the single site licensing terms. Most of the themes cost around $20 for a single site license but for the ability to be able to redistribute I think you'd have to get the full license which is around $1000.

I'm currently using SimpleNG which is the nicest theme I've come across so far.

#10 2014-08-23 23:05:44

quicky
2012-08-03

If its really $1000 I'd be willing to pay $200 for a start. I guess there would be more people who'd pay at least $50 for a good theme. If there's one theme, there will be more for sure :-)

#11 2014-08-24 22:14:21

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

i also would like to have more modern themes in piwigo - specially for mobile devices (responsiv Design). I'm also willing pay for it - 50-100 Euros. Maybe a developer should Start a Crowdfunding project for it.
I absolutly can can understand that nobody likes to invest time and money to develope a theme without to be sure he can make a profil. but a crowdfunding project would be a good way to see, people are really willing to pay for it.

#12 2014-08-24 22:22:00

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

I have seen a few project about Piwigo on freelancer.com ; we are gathering information about crowdfuding especially on which legal base

#13 2014-08-26 05:51:50

Serge D
US
2014-07-15

Quick note on the theme above
Piwigo has core functionality which will match desired layout support for Gallery section. Blog would not be covered off course.
The only "issue" here are transitions. From my experience with gdThumb, there will need to be some careful selection of image sources, but otherwise it is trivial.
Photo page is simply replaced with Lightbox.
So it is matter of time and people willing to pay for that time.

This is on the surface. There is a bit playing around with the layout, but it is trivial.

Note, such "portfolio" theme would probably limit use of 3rd party plugins as it would be hard to provide streamlined integration of all of them.

Piwigo showcase has plenty of decent implementations using existing themes.
So when you say "modern" theme, what do you really mean? Transitions, responsive design, options, etc.?

#14 2014-08-26 07:02:03

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

Hi Serge D,

Thanks for your Feedback.
What means modern design for me:
- Responsive design
- Optimized for touch devices (Smartphones, tablets)
- A smart integration for existing filters (tags; sorting by dates / names / ...; languages ...)
- Give the administrator wide range of options (see admin of the stripped Theme)
- Smart integration of download options
- An intelligent navigation in huge galleries with more than 50.000 photos
- Modern browsing thru big galleries - Like in a Gthumb+
- Seamless integration of full screen pictures views
- Shiny, glossy design ;-)

This is not a wish list of new features. As you said - all this functionality exist already. But in Themes today are not state of the art anymore. Special on mobile / touch devices.

On Example: I like for the app "FlickStackr" - this has a modern concept of navigation and presentation.

Thanks to all who push this topic forward
I’m looking forward …

#15 2014-08-26 07:51:24

Serge D
US
2014-07-15

ok, lets go over your list

* RD - understandable. now to what min for factor you expect to go. Today, PW supports mobile themes which are phone size and then everything above. so we are looking for two themes - one for phone and one for non-phone devices. Themes need to be of the same style for consistency. there could be one theme which work on both size factors, but user experience could be harder to streamline.
* Touch support is somewhat easy to support with right library
* filters - requires better definition of the "smart"
* admin options - this is theme level. GreyDragon, stripped, and similar themes have variety of options. But one need to be conservative as to how much is too much
* Download options - this is touchy topic as many authors would prefer to lock this option down to limit "free" access to full images. PW has already somewhat robust selection of sizes. Making admin area more intuitive may help to address it better.
* Intelligent navigation -  you would have to elaborate. User navigation or admin level navigation. I admit that coming from Gallery 3 background, PW album/photo management is a bit confusing for me, there may be some improvements in the work, but it would be question for PW team
* Gthumb+ - I have created gdThumb which adds more options, but I personally run into issue that in PW, albums and image thumbs are managed by different templates so it is difficult to have streamlined consolidated mix of two. There is a way around it by not mixing two, but I would hope at some point we can mix and match thumbs in one list.
* Full screen images - this is easy with use of plugins similar to Lightbox - i.e. image view full screen is achieved using partial or full overlay. We can even create theme for Lightbox which would take full screen.
* Shiny, glossy... this is personal preference and could be achieved using your own colors.

Compare http://www.pennytaylor.biz/ and http://www.yvonneschleicher.de/. Both are professional sites, first is based of ZenPhoto, second is PW/stripped+gThumb+
Neil did quick migration from G3 which looks simple but slick - http://neiljacklin.com/piwigo/
GDThumb+ did not cover albums, but gdThumb resolves this issue and now you have "tile" thumbs for both modes - http://pww.dragonsoft.us/

I do understand your point to offer pre-canned solutions for 20$-50$, but for that there simply need to be a market for people to offer money for such work.
Example with WordPress is tough, as WP community is much much larger and people are willing to pay money there. There is enough custom work there so same authors can offer packaged goods for few dozen $ as to demonstrate their work which in turn leads to more custom work and reality is that after you do a first complex theme, creating forks is easy.

•  » Themes
  •  » Modern Theme Request

Board footer