Announcement

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Piwigo iOS version 2.0, beta-test - Sorting

#1 2015-03-29 20:43:27

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

Piwigo iOS version 2.0, beta-test - Sorting

I have a large piwigo gallery - more than 80.000 Sorting. To find photos, the sorting is really important.
At the moment I can not setup a default sorting.
Moreover, if I switch between albums, the sorting setting will be not saved. This mean, in each album I open I have to reset the sorting again.
So it would be good, to setup a standard sorting and moreover the last sorting setting should be used, if you change the album.
Best
Hagen

#2 2015-03-30 03:48:02

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Re: Piwigo iOS version 2.0, beta-test - Sorting

Hi photo_friend,

I realize how the experience with many images on your site might be difficult to deal with. It has been noted to create a way to search images by name or tags.

Sorting:
The default is just the order that the server gives back to the phone, which is just ascending order for the image id. The other sort orders that the server can send back don't help much because they can't be changed to descending order.

It stays as that default order between albums because to change the sort order, the app has to download all the image information for that album and manually sort them. This could be annoying to wait for all image information to be downloaded each time you move to a new album, so it was decided not to persist it between albums.

#3 2015-03-30 07:58:30

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

Hoser wrote:

Hi photo_friend,

I realize how the experience with many images on your site might be difficult to deal with. It has been noted to create a way to search images by name or tags.

Sorting:
The default is just the order that the server gives back to the phone, which is just ascending order for the image id. The other sort orders that the server can send back don't help much because they can't be changed to descending order.

It stays as that default order between albums because to change the sort order, the app has to download all the image information for that album and manually sort them. This could be annoying to wait for all image information to be downloaded each time you move to a new album, so it was decided not to persist it between albums.

Thanks for your feedback. And let me say, I'm impressed how fast the resorting works, if I change the sorting order - even with 1500 or more photos in on album. And moreover I love, that the app loads all photos in one album and I don't have to slide thru many subsite - a love always a continues stream of photos.

About the sorting issue: If I understood you right, then the server need a option for "mobile sorting", where I can setup an individual default sorting option - right?

#4 2015-03-30 18:32:27

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

The app just uses your server's default sort order that you can change. Go to administration -> Options, Configuration ->  Default photos order. (See attached screenshot)

The web and the app use the same interface for getting images. I'll ask to see how to manual get a sort order back that's descending.

Last edited by Hoser (2015-03-30 18:32:41)

#5 2015-03-30 19:34:52

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

Hoser wrote:

The app just uses your server's default sort order that you can change. Go to administration -> Options, Configuration ->  Default photos order. (See attached screenshot)

The web and the app use the same interface for getting images. I'll ask to see how to manual get a sort order back that's descending.

Thanks for your feedback. You gave a valid point and the default sort works well. On the other hand, it's possible the set up a album individual sort. This sorting can be also heritage to the sub album.
If you see my case - a huge gallery with more than 1200 album and more than 80.000 pic, it would be great, I the app loads the the album default sort and not just the default sort settings for the whole gallery. I have reason, why I have different sortings for different albums.

What do you think?

#6 2015-03-30 19:49:19

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

I found out today how to request an order from the server so it doesn't have to download all the image information to sort.

This will make it so you can have a default sort across all your albums. :)

#7 2015-03-30 20:19:52

photo_friend
Berlin
1970-01-01

Hoser wrote:

I found out today how to request an order from the server so it doesn't have to download all the image information to sort.

This will make it so you can have a default sort across all your albums. :)

It's amazing - you do a really great job!

•  » Beta testing
  •  » Piwigo iOS version 2.0, beta-test - Sorting

Board footer