Announcement

#1 2016-05-07 22:47:23

Thomas Clinton
2016-05-07

Gallery Extremely Slow

Hello all,

I'm very new to Piwigo as I only just inherited the rights to the website our gallery is on, so please forgive any misunderstandings on my part.

Basically the problem is that for the past few months our gallery has been extremely slow, bordering on inusable. It's not only slow when going through pictures or selecting which albums to look at, but also in the administrative section to manage titles and thumbnails.

As I'm new to the software I have no idea where to start to diagnose and treat the issue. Any and all help would be appreciated, thank you for your patience.

Piwigo version: 2.81
PHP version: 5.6.19-2+b1
MySQL version: 5.6.28-1-log
Piwigo URL: http://gallerie.polyphoto.org/

#2 2016-05-08 17:03:43

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Gallery Extremely Slow

Hello
welcome to the wonderful world of webserver management/sysadmin.

I checked your gallery and that's the first request which is tremendously slow (50s). Then all is loaded in a few ms. But it looks like it's not always the case, so it might be the server occasionally overloaded
You have to investigate logs (mysql slow log, time for requests, php stacks...), monitor the resources of the server, test different configurations of php...

Sounds like you are at the bottom of the learning curve, and need to start developing analytical skills. Good luck.
Ps: we have a french forum if your prefer ; and your url for home is the Piwigo.org demo !

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2016-05-09 22:57:44

Thomas Clinton
2016-05-07

Thanks for the response flop25,

Yes it is very slow and occasionally rather quick when it wants to be, though the vast majority of the time it<s painfully slow. The website would normally slow down with multiple users on it (such as after a large event is put online), but it stays very slow now even when used late at night. Do you suspect that the server may simply be overloaded with images?

Thanks for the advice, I'll get in touch with the guy managing the server.

#4 2016-05-09 23:02:09

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

not images really. That's just thumbnails and the fact of processing a badly coded CMS would be reproducible

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#5 2016-05-10 10:47:39

S.E.

I you are not lucky, a few or just one corrupted entry in a mysql table is enough to cause this kind of problems, but I suppose you already tried to repair/optimize your piwigo tables, as there is an option in your piwigo administration > tools > maintenance menu ?
If that's not enough and your gallery is linked to other databases, you can also repair all your tables with phpMyAdmin, most hosting services provide phpmyadmin (through cPanel for example), even shared hosting services. I believe the piwigo tools are secure, but be careful with phpmyadmin if you are not used to it, as it's a very powerful tool and allows you to erase and delete everything in you databases with one click ! just be sure to only repair and optimize your tables ! backup/export everything is also a good idea before modifications.

#6 2016-05-10 10:49:39

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

indeed that's a good idea too to do some maintenancy such Repair&Optimize for MySQL
thx for the comment

Board footer