Announcement

#1 2017-06-14 20:40:14

jason@barbanet
2017-06-14

[resolved] How to move piwigo gallery to new server

Hello,

Need to move a complete piwigo gallery with albums and sub-albums from one debian server to another, also debian. Have been searching for a howto, but have not found anything useful. Most grateful for any hints.

//jason

#2 2017-06-14 22:36:31

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: [resolved] How to move piwigo gallery to new server

In a nutshell:

- copy /usr/local/piwigo to the new server
- back up MySQL database from source, restore it into new database on new server

I use all physical albums but I store on my photos on a NAS so my /usr/local/piwigo/_data directory is actually a symlink to the NAS. So I just had to move the rest of /usr/local/piwigo. Yours will probably be larger based on how many images you have under uploads and thumbnails, etc. under _data.

For the database, I used mysqldump to export the database and then used the resulting .sql to restore into the target database.

Of course you also have to do all the web server stuff too, but that should get you going on the Piwigo stuff.

#3 2017-06-15 19:19:36

jason@barbanet
2017-06-14

Thanks for the info. The web server is already up and running. Since I store everything including the photos under the piwigo root, it looks like a very straight for process.

#4 2019-01-05 14:13:20

kdmiller45
Phoenix
2018-07-16

Couple of notes:

copy /usr/local/piwigo to the new server  (Nothing there,are you actually copying the whole piwigo folder where ever it may be located)

- back up MySQL database from source, restore it into new database on new server

I use all physical albums but I store on my photos on a NAS so my /usr/local/piwigo/_data directory is actually a symlink to the NAS. So I just had to move the rest of /usr/local/piwigo. Yours will probably be larger based on how many images you have under uploads and thumbnails, etc. under _data.

For the database, I used mysqldump to export the database and then used the resulting .sql to restore into the target database.

Of course you also have to do all the web server stuff too, but that should get you going on the Piwigo stuff.

are the photos actually stored in the upload folder if so can you copy just that folder into your new install of piwigo, then do you export your mysql data base or restore it to the new server from the old server using a backup

#5 2019-01-06 04:46:24

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Old thread, but ...

kdmiller45 wrote:

Couple of notes:

(Nothing there,are you actually copying the whole piwigo folder where ever it may be located)

Yes, the entire folder where you have Piwigo installed (mine happens to be under /usr/local/piwigo)

kdmiller45 wrote:

are the photos actually stored in the upload folder if so can you copy just that folder into your new install of piwigo, then do you export your mysql data base or restore it to the new server from the old server using a backup

Yes, if you're using virtual albums all of your photos are in the upload folder so it should come across when you copy the Piwigo folder to its new location/server. And the export of the MySQL database can be used to restore it in its new location.

Board footer