Announcement

#1 2020-11-01 03:11:19

piwent
2020-10-24

[Cookie Consent] not remembering consent past session

Hello,

I just started using the Cookie Consent plugin. https://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=888

It is really great. However, it doesn't remember that the user has given consent past the sesson, i.e. every new session you have to consent again. Is this really the expected behaviour? I thought the whole point of cookies was that the site could remember your settings :-)

I'm getting complaints from users that they have to agree every time. Other websites seem to remember consent for a much longer time period.

Is there a way for me to change this with config settings?

Big thanks to @Netcie for the plugin.

#2 2020-11-01 05:30:29

executive
2017-08-16

Re: [Cookie Consent] not remembering consent past session

On the plugin page there is a link to the Github development tracking page. From there , you can can click on the "issues" tab. Looks like somebody already reported the bug.

#3 2020-11-01 05:57:43

piwent
2020-10-24

executive wrote:

On the plugin page there is a link to the Github development tracking page.

Great. So you you agree that this is probably a bug?

#4 2020-11-01 06:06:25

executive
2017-08-16

I've never tried the plugin. Only the author can say for sure.

#5 2020-11-01 06:09:58

piwent
2020-10-24

executive wrote:

I've never tried the plugin. Only the author can say for sure.

Right, I guess what I meant was, we should expect it to remember the user's answer, eh?

Thanks!

#6 2020-11-01 11:57:29

Zentalquabula
2014-05-10

So remove this blatantly useless plugin?

You are NOT obliged to implement this to comply with EU laws. Even though the law itself is fascist in nature, bearing witness to the overaching agenda of the EU, and brutally stifling the functionality of the net, simple sessions cookies are simply not part of the regulation.

piwent wrote:

I'm getting complaints from users that they have to agree every time.

#7 2020-11-01 12:01:52

piwent
2020-10-24

Zentalquabula wrote:

So remove this blatantly useless plugin?

Maybe I should have clarified, I'm not actually using the plugin for a cookie notice. It's quite flexible and so I am trying to use it for a more general "I agree to the terms of the site." I don't really know anything about the politics of EU cookies.

#8 2020-11-01 12:40:37

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

The GDPR makes it mandatory and is in general a wonderful, yet cumbersome legislation that should inspire others to follow (glaring at f-u US here).

The cookie-law has its own site with extensive information: https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/ . I have implemented it to inform my visitors that my site is hosted in my country and thus only subject to my countries laws about copyright, other countries can basically drop dead wanting to contest any content.

Having said that, and focusing on the Cookie consent plugin  as such, I am using the same plugin and also contributed to some of its latest updates via my Github account and I have not noticed any issues with it other than the pretty obvious circumstance that people may use Adblock or other browser plugins or settings to prevent storing cookies from you, and many other, sites. There is not really anything you can do about that except for perhaps adding informational text. And make sure you run your site with https, that goes a pretty long way.

On a side note I have both legal education and am a politician within EU so I think I have my bases covered in regards to these matters. Again, I agree it is a mess to go through and feel safe about, but it is rather easy to cover your bases....Visitor allows interaction Yes / No.... That covers a lot.

Last edited by homdax (2020-11-01 12:42:50)

#9 2020-11-01 12:55:46

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

BTW

Here is Piwigo.org result:

https://i.imgur.com/JUiWR1x.png

#10 2020-11-01 13:26:46

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Thanks homdaz, for pointing out what the GDPR is..

That said, Piwigo core uses only a session cookie for guest visitor settings. If that plugin would store "this user/computer has seen me" it would have to set an additional persistent cookie, which kind of defeats the purpose of all this.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#11 2020-11-01 13:52:30

piwent
2020-10-24

erAck wrote:

That said, Piwigo core uses only a session cookie for guest visitor settings. If that plugin would store "this user/computer has seen me" it would have to set an additional persistent cookie, which kind of defeats the purpose of all this.

OK, that does help clarify things. Thanks everyone! So my experience (on a machine that doesn't block cookies) of seeing the message on a new session is the expected behaviour?

I may be misunderstanding, but the point of the plugin is not to prevent cookies, but rather warn the user they are there. So there is actually nothing "purpose defeating" in having a persistent cookie set by this plugin, eh?

#12 2020-11-01 14:18:09

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

On a new session, yes that would be expected behaviour, due to the non-persistant nature, as erAck points out.

The point is to warn, yes, and of course that entails setting a cookie that user has been warned, or the warning will pop up every page view...

This goes to show how good it is to discuss these things, becasue frankly, I had missed that last tidbit, you get a cookie when you are warned about cookies, technically it makes sense of course but kinda lacks in the user informational and educational part of it all...

#13 2020-11-01 14:35:46

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

erAck wrote:

Thanks homdax, for pointing out what the GDPR is..

There is actually more to it than that, it is part of the long term fight to protect consumers rights and personal data that has been going on for ages in many countries, but only an organisation like EU can be the forum for implementing a common legislation for many nations...  You can now demand an extract of your data from any company or organisation with offices in an EU country, and also demand them to delete it if you want that.

I recently had a debacle with a major US Software Company where their process for deleting my account was obscure and lenghty so I mentioned GDPR and the fines EU would give them, having business in the EU, and that increased their handling speed a lot. No it wasn't Microsoft or Facebook... :)

#14 2020-11-01 15:02:01

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

homdax wrote:

The point is to warn, yes, and of course that entails setting a cookie that user has been warned, or the warning will pop up every page view...

Technically it doesn't set a cookie, but adds a session server variable. See plugins/cookieconsent/README.md. Hence the value is cleared once the session ends.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#15 2020-11-01 19:37:10

executive
2017-08-16

I find the cookie warnings extremely annoying. And just like this plugin, they are often not remembered. It's one of those things that serves absolutely no purpose other than to add bureaucracy and justify more taxation. Nobody reads them and they just angrily click them away. Just like the age consent popups where I always enter Jan 1, 1900 as my birthdate. That will definitely keep minors out LOL. If you don't accept the cookies then you can't use the site. But they're everywhere. Did they honestly expect people to just stop using the internet? If I don't want cookies, then I can just turn them off myself in the browser. The EU wants to regulate bloody everything.

Board footer