Announcement

#16 2020-11-02 00:53:17

piwent
2020-10-24

Re: [Cookie Consent] not remembering consent past session

Hello!

So I appreciate all the attention this thread is getting, but I'd respectfully suggest that this isn't the place to be discussing the pros/cons of cookies in Europe (unless we are going to discuss stroopwaffeln, in which case there is no argument, they are the best.)

Perhaps someone could start a thread in the off-topic section.

My use case for the plugin is not cookies, but a work around since I can't find another way to do what I want.

#17 2020-11-02 02:14:06

executive
2017-08-16

I'm just pointing out to politicians out there that Euro style bureaucracy and planned economy isn't "wonderful" and "inspiring", nor is it wanted by everyone. And thankfully the rest of the internet isn't required to abide by it.

not trying to derail your topic here, piwent. But I think you've exhausted the answers we can give you. If you want the plugin author to change something for you then you will have to discuss his intentions with him. Otherwise, copy his code and adapt it to your needs (if he's ok with that).

I keep a box of stroopwaffel at home home. It's delicious.

#18 2020-11-02 02:45:51

piwent
2020-10-24

executive wrote:

not trying to derail your topic here, piwent. But I think you've exhausted the answers we can give you.

The post is only a couple days old. :-) And besides, discussing off-topic things makes it harder for people in the future who may need to read through to learn about the plugin.

executive wrote:

I keep a box of stroopwaffel at home home. It's delicious.

:-)

It looks like the developer has a fix and is needing testers:
[Github] cookieconsent issue #6

#19 2020-11-02 05:55:45

executive
2017-08-16

piwent wrote:

The post is only a couple days old

I see . You're the guy who shows up to a new job and starts telling everyone how to run the place.

#20 2020-11-02 06:43:21

piwent
2020-10-24

You're the guy who shows up to a new job and starts telling everyone how to run the place.

Probably. But at least I would serve you stroopwaffel as I did it. And I would teach everyone the coffee cup warming trick like I was the first person to discover it.  ;-)

#21 2020-11-02 08:15:12

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Sorry if I contributed to derailing the thread with my explanations and the political/regulation approach.

However this little tidbit of software do have its foundation and raison d'etre in a political decision. Technical peculiarities aside.

I actually learned some things here and I appreciate everyones insight and opinions. maybe we can have a legislation discussion in off-topic....

#22 2020-11-03 22:42:51

Netcie
2017-11-20

Hi,

As the author of the plugin I seldom check this forum and I did not know this was going on. However when a user asked me to fix this (on GitHub) this was performed within 24hr. So please, if it is urgent create an issue on Github.

That being said, i've added the option of a 1-year persistent cookie instead of a session cookie. This has also become the default behaviour for the plugin from now on.

#23 2020-11-04 09:05:28

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

Netcie wrote:

Hi,

As the author of the plugin I seldom check this forum and I did not know this was going on. However when a user asked me to fix this (on GitHub) this was performed within 24hr. So please, if it is urgent create an issue on Github.

That being said, i've added the option of a 1-year persistent cookie instead of a session cookie. This has also become the default behaviour for the plugin from now on.

Yup, following it there and did some testing with feedback... thanks...!

#24 2020-11-04 16:15:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

This topic is indeed derailing. The question is not "is GDPR valid?", but "how can Piwigo be compliant with GDPR?". I'm also not very fan of GDPR, not because it's a bad thing to protect user privacy, but because it was designed towards the "big players" and they absolutely don't care because they can spend millions of euros in law firms. Not us.

As I wrote  on [Forum, post 178161 by plg in topic 29954] Alter behaviour of session cookies:

plg wrote:

[extension by Netcie] Cookie Consent is a nice plugin BUT the session id and remember_me cookies ARE NOT A PROBLEM for GDPR.

You don't need to ask permission to write those cookies. They are not "third party" cookies. They are not "personal data" neither. You may ask for permission to use the IP address in the history log (if activated) but with a standard Piwigo, that's all. Now if you have a Google Analytics javascript snippet, that you must ask for permission before inserting it in the page.

Furthermore, piwigo.org does not use third party cookies, this is why we don't have a "cookie consent" banner here.

Board footer