Announcement

#1 2018-09-10 16:03:32

merrickville
2018-09-10

Trying to understand "Multi Image Size" option.

Good day!

I have a slow uplink from my Piwigo server (1Mbs) rural, country living :(

I'm seeking an understanding of how Piwigo serves up photos from an album. I'm trying to understand how multi image size option is used, and, if Piwigo scales images on the fly, negating the need to generate server sized multi sized images for photo viewing.

My Question: How can I speed up photo viewing on the client with my slow upload speed?

- generate multi sizes for faster photo viewing on the client?
- does Piwigo auto-scales on the fly according to connection speed (no need to create multi sized images)?
- does the client device select a size they wish to view, and Piwigo will auto scale, or must I first created multi sizes on the server side for that to work?

Piwigo version: 2.9.4
PHP version: 7.0
MySQL version: Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.9-MariaDB
Piwigo URL:

#2 2018-09-10 19:15:01

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Trying to understand "Multi Image Size" option.

Hello

if Piwigo scales images on the fly, negating the need to generate server sized multi sized images for photo viewing.

Piwigo can scale images on the picture page (picture.php page) if you use Automatic Size or Autosize with a theme compatible, if you use a theme which has already the feature. BUT you still have to generate multi sized pictures.
Scaling doesn't mean it magically reduces the resolution, it just generates a smaller one on the server and send that one to the client

And why are you concerned about your internet speed for the visitors of your website? Do you have your gallery hosted on a computer at home?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2018-09-10 23:27:38

merrickville
2018-09-10

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.

I use my own at home Linux PC, I've switched to Docker vice standard install, and I'm on rural/slow upload Internet.

This is personal use, two users, period.

It's simply a public place for our photos so we can show family/friends.

I use the Bootstrap Dark theme.

In the Android client (paid version), a long press on the photo says "medium (792 * 528)" and is the default selection.

I guess that means the client request 'that size' from the server side, and scaling is done on the fly? I set the client to 'original', and the photo certainly takes longer. So, it seems the client requests the scaling size?

Since the album I'm testing does not have 'other sizes' added (s, m, l, xl, etc...) I do seem to be getting a scaled down size, the flipping to next pictures is a little slow, but much slower if I select original.

I may have answered my own question, manually generating other sizes on the server may be not needed for my purpose.

#4 2018-09-11 20:18:49

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

forcing the generation of multiple size is only a matter of server performances: if it's too slow, the visitor will wait to get the resized pictures. On heavy traffic server that's an issue too.

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2023-03-17 17:51:22

beepro
2021-09-05

how do I tell piwigo to keep the -xx.jpg file sizes? it seems these are generated each time freshly, then deleted. this takes 1-2 seconds for each photo from the viewer's side.  is there a theme that can do this?

Board footer