Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Request for a smartalbums functionality in the main Piwigo version

#1 2023-04-27 17:36:33

vishap
2023-01-02

Request for a smartalbums functionality in the main Piwigo version

Hello,

The capability to dynamically attribute photos to albums based on their tags was for me one of the decisive features of why Piwigo was superior to other open source photo library software. It did not matter that this capability was achieved by a "smartalbums" plugin.

Yet, in the meantime this particular plugin seems to be not updated any longer and it works with the newest Piwigo version only in combination with the PHP 7.4 version, which itself is deprecated and thus insecure. It does not work with php 8 at all.

I propose to update and include the smartalbums code into the main version of Piwigo and thus to secure this wonderful functionality for good for the future. For larger photo libraries this functionality is essential!

Best wishes,
Vishap

#2 2023-04-27 18:22:49

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Request for a smartalbums functionality in the main Piwigo version

I don't think it's a good idea to include it in Piwigo core.

I strongly agree we need to update this plugin. At least for compatibility with PHP 8.x versions (but also review the design). I have to work on it.

#3 2023-04-27 20:52:47

vishap
2023-01-02

Thank you for your prompt reply and your willingness to address this issue, plg! Sure, a periodically updated plugin would also solve it.

#4 2023-06-26 18:47:06

ILikeTakingPictures
2023-06-26

Im curious on your thoughts of why it shouldn't be natively included. With the recent Search update for the 14.0 beta, it almost makes too much sense to be able to 'save' a search into an album, and create smart albums that way in the interface.

I rely on Smart Albums as the big feature keeping me on Piwigo for my photography, since it allows me to display different groups of pictures into organized albums based on rigorous and meticulous Lightroom tags.

Glad to hear that you plan on updating the plugin though, as I have been struggling without it recently.

#5 2023-07-11 03:28:24

raupie
2023-07-11

I'm trialing piwigo and this SmartAlbum plugin is what I really need. Mainly because I run nextcloud to sync my phone pictures to my Home NAS and store them by year and month. I'd like to get my partner's phone to do the same and merge our photos together and then we can "tag" photos and ideally create many different albums from the same "source" of photos.

I'd second a call to refresh this extension. I think I'm running down one issue with the missing $cat_id being returned to the template.

[Github] Piwigo-SmartAlbums issue #18

#6 2023-07-27 09:29:36

guiyou65
2023-07-27

I strongly support this request ! Even if I found a manual turnaround, this is not very usefull. And unluckily my php skills are far under the requested level for me to update the plugin. I hope someone will have time, and energy, to do the job. Thanks to him in advance.

#7 2023-09-13 17:09:41

vishap
2023-01-02

Raupie, did you resolve the issue? How will the plugin be updated, so that we all can download it from our administrative interface in Piwigo?

#8 2023-09-13 17:18:11

raupie
2023-07-11

My fix worked which I documented in [Github] Piwigo-SmartAlbums issue #18

I can make smart albums based off my tagging strategy.

I still see a php warning message but I can live with it as it seems to be working.

I didn't push a MR to the repo for consideration. I think it needs rebuilt. I would love to see permissions based on tags. Like certain tags can only be viewed by certain roles etc.

•  » Requests
  •  » Request for a smartalbums functionality in the main Piwigo version

Board footer